2.18.2010

Things are looking up today, folks. There's been a cloud hanging over me lately, but I think today might just be an awesome day!

Last night was just the most encouraging relaxing time that I have had in Huy in a long time. Nathalie and Sam invited us Americans over for dinner. They make us feel so welcome! We had a great Belgian meal (soup, pork tenderloin, salad, and croquettes- doesn't get more Belge than that), which was such a treat after being gone so long. We watched this ridiculously funny "Laurel and Hardy-esque" French movie that had us all laughing hysterically. I didn't understand all the words, but it didn't seem to matter. Nathalie and I talked for a really long time about our trip to Asia, and I was able to explain more about what we do on our trips. It's such a relief to be able to relay in French a little more about we do. It is so isolating when you can't talk to people! I am so thankful for Nathalie and her patient heart.

Today we are celebrating Josh's birthday, and I am so excited because while we were in Vietnam I found Campbell's cream of chicken soup!! Sweet America in a can! I am making chicken roll-ups for lunch today. I feel so Tomball and I love it. Becky Young made this dish once years ago at a TBC staff dinner, and the recipe spread like wild-fire. I can't wait to share it with our friends. As it's not every day we enjoy such comfort food, I decided to go all the way and make mashed potatoes AND Pioneer Woman's Dump Cake. Yes, I found yellow cake mix in Vietnam, too! We may never recover from this meal.

---

And if it never happened to blow your way, here's the famous Tomball recipe.

Chicken Roll-Ups

1 chicken, cooked and diced (a rotisserie chicken would work if you don't want to boil one)
2 cans crescent rolls
1 C milk
3 C grated cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine soup, milk and 1 cup of cheese in a saucepan. Heat to melt the cheese. Spray 9X13 baking dish with Pam.
Pour a small amount of sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Unroll crescents and separate into triangles. At the base of each triangle, place some chicken and cheese. Roll each triangle and place in pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly brown. Sprinkle with a little grated cheese the last 5 minutes. Serve with the remainder of the sauce as a gravy. Makes 16 roll ups.

7 comments:

Des said...

crescent rolls! you found them? where! and also, it's true that the cream of chicken soup here tastes a little weird, but it does the trick. But nothing like Campbells. Hope we can get together soon! I'm getting better at making tex mex with the ingredients over here and I just got a care package with some Velveeta and rotel for queso! I'll save some for our future dinner together:-)

Pat Chapman said...

Ugh, clouds over my Ruth friend! I wish I could be there to shoo them away. Hopefully today will be huge for you. I'll pray that direction. Love staying up with your amazing travels and amazing photos. Someday these will have to go in a photo book. So beautiful.
Hugs

Kerrie said...

Ooh, Tracy made this for us once when we were there. It really is delicious and it's even better the next day! Yum! I might have to add it to the menu for next week!

Gigi said...

Okay, okay, truth be known...I first got that recipe from Schelley Tucker! Hmmm I think I'll make some for dinner :)

Unknown said...

I can taste the chicken rollups! We have renamed them chicken Rita's - the first time mom cooked them was during hurricane Rita and that name stuck. Hope you guys enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

I just peeked at you pic's from Asia. Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) has changed a lot in the last 40+ years, but your pictures are great as always.
JEP

Derek & Meredith said...

Mmmmm... can't wait to try that recipe. Thanks! I'm glad things are looking up.