8.16.2009

"If I take one more step it will be the furthest I've ever been from The Shire."



Last night, they shot fireworks off the fort (that we enjoyed from our living room!). They claim it was to celebrate Mary's Assumption, but we Sandozes know the truth: it was to celebrate our 5 months in Huy! 5 months! Exciting and momentous, as well: tomorrow will be the longest I have ever been away from home. Whew. I have been looking forward to this day. Dreading it, too. There was this weird comfort in knowing that I had tread these waters before, that this was all old hat. But tomorrow, tomorrow begins a new chapter. Uncharted waters. Am I ready for this? I guess we'll see! Ha! Oh, Megan, you're so dramatic. I think we'll be ok :)

Summer has been a neat time. It's been hard, because most of the things that make up our weekly routine were suspended. Things like school and activities at church. Most of our friends are ones we made in French class, and with school out, it just seemed harder to get together. We've realized how much having things to do or work to do really defines us. And in a lot of ways, that's not a good thing. God has worked with us this summer to show us, by force if necessary, that satisfaction is in pleasing him and him alone. This is freeing in one respect, for we are released to not care so much about other people's opinions, but it also reveals how deeply entrenched we are in our own self-satisfaction, how good we look. Oh, aren't we all just rotten inside sometimes?! I've done my fair share of kicking and screaming (MOSTLY in my head :) this summer, but oh how happy is it to know Jesus is working on you!

So, bring on month SIX!! AGH! That's a 4th of our time here! Didn't we just get here with our eight huge duffle bags? Didn't we just leave Austin, for that matter?

Let's make the most of these days the Lord has given us, people, because I don't know about where you are, but in Belgium, time is FLYING!

2 comments:

Anna Alexis said...

Yay for the first 5 months! and for fireworks! Love to you both!

Jocelyn said...

Happy 5 months!!! And hurray for a "new chapter"... AND your cute title to the post (LOVE it!!). Praying for you guys.