10.02.2012

Austria

This past Friday was St. Wenceslas day, and in his honor I had the day off from school! Our teacher told us that this was the one holiday falling on a weekday all semester so we should make the most of our 3-day weekend.

You don't have to tell us twice!

One of our favorite things to do is road-trip together, so we rented a car and drove to Austria!



The ride was absolutely gorgeous. As we got further into Austria you could start to see the beginning of the Alps.



We stayed in a cute little village. Here is the view from the window. If gnomes existed, they would live in Austria.



The other window looked down into this yard:



It was seriously the cutest little yard ever. I wanted to move into their garden shed.

The weekend was quiet and peaceful and a nice break for our tired Czech-learning brains. Every time we heard German it was a relief to know that it was a language we didn't have to try to understand or speak. It was an English kind of weekend and it felt good :)



Lots of walking and talking. Can you find us in this picture?



And oohing and aahing over all the automatic lawn mowers we saw. We stood at this point staring for a really long time.




We both had objectives for this trip. Clay wanted to a) hike on a mountain, and b) have good coffee and dessert.

Check.



Double check. (Actually triple check because we found this little restaurant at the top of the mountain we were hiking on :)



My objective was to scout out flea markets (flohmarkt in German). We found several and it was so fun to dig around.

On the way home we stopped at this gem once back across the border. Clay is a champ. Man I love digging though junk.



It was a great weekend and we came back feeling refreshed. (And for those of you tracking with my GAPS progress, this weekend was my first time traveling while on the diet! We made sure to find a place to stay that had a kitchen, then loaded up the ice chest and some of my essential kitchen utensils. It was a huge encouragement to be able to get away while on the diet. Freedom!)

So now we're back in Prague and the week is underway.

And I have my first test tomorrow!! Study study!

Ya'll have a great week!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Love the pictures! I want to go to Austria so bad! My cousin as been on the Sound of Music tour I want to do that as well!