2.10.2012

School days.

It's been a big week! First week of school! Thankfully, they went easy on us- 2 days of  registration and information, and only 3 full days of Czech study. I don't know if our brains could hold anymore!

The day is long- 4 1/2 hours of language study. The first day I cried in class. I don't think anyone noticed but Clay, but there were tears. 

Real, frustrated, what-have-I-gotten-myself-into tears. 

It was SO much information on a topic that neither of us had even scratched the surface of before. So different from our experiences with Spanish and French, where atleast there are comparisons to be made to English. This is a whole other realm.

But then day 2 was so much better! We left class being able to count to 20 (!) and with a pretty good grasp on the alphabet and its sounds. It was encouraging and just what we needed.

And then with today's class we were back in the mire. I think this will be the theme of our Czech language learning tale- really good days followed by really hard days followed by really good days. And so on.

Our walk to school is pretty slippery right now- lots of snow and ice on cobblestones.

 

Today, we both fell down stairs. And then almost had to sit back down on them we were laughing so hard :) I am so glad we are together on this adventure.
Here's the view from our classroom. 


















And here's a quick shot of the classroom before class began. We're 6 Americans, 1 Chinese, 1 Austrian, 1 Colombian (that I speak Spanish with in the bathroom), and 1 Swede. And a Czech teacher named Jana.

 In other news- I have a new phone!!! Courtesy of some sweet friends in Texas- thanks ya'll!! My heart couldn't have been more blessed. Yay!
Also, we are getting close on securing housing for the whole team! Can't wait to show you our new home!

The rest of the group purchased their tickets and are set to arrive in March. We will be so happy to see those 11 faces! What a joyous day that will be!

In the meantime, we will continue with language school, getting to know new friends, navigating the visa renewal kingdom, and exploring these beautiful (albeit mushy) streets:

*Exciting update (for those of you playing my game with me)! We found the first female installment of our graffiti name game!!!

Rachel, Prague is ready for you!


















 Add that to these guys, and we're off to a pretty good start!









3 comments:

Hannah Munnerlyn said...

I got really excited reading this post! I can feel your joy and excitement. Miss you dear friend!

"May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13

Jana said...

Of course your teacher is named Jana!! Don't slip and call her Mama :)

Karen said...

I have had you on my mind so much. It makes me smile just thinking about you guys and your sweet smiles. Love what God is doing for you as a couple. Praying always for you (: