7.28.2009

First of all, thank you to all of my wonderful ladies who made me feel like I was with you last weekend. We were able to ichat, and I took them on a tour of my apartment :) Let me tell you, that made my day big time. I was also able to call them several times throughout the weekend just to check in, and it made all the difference. I still wish I could have been there, madly actually, but God was good to give me a link with them.



How did she console herself, you may be asking? I find that a good cup of soup and a movie calm most storms. My current favorite is asparagus soup from this book. Sadly, I found out last week at the market that asparagus season is over. Imagine my shock at learning that there are places in the world that I can't get whatever I want WHEN I want it :) I had my heart set on this soup, though, and was able to find 2 bunches of white asparagus from Peru (Now, THAT'S more like it. I feel like I am back at my trusty HEB). Thank you, Peru.



So, soup and Mystery Science Theater 3000 it was.



Today Clay and I went for an extremely long run/hike through outer Huy. So beautiful.



I needed time to think and I find that running, or really exercise of any kind, loosens my thoughts and helps them make their way to my mouth, where they can then be sorted out between the 2 of us. We had a really good long talk. About life and God. Good stuff.

And because I love you and you can probably find asparagus where you are, here is my favorite soup recipe. No need to read further if you don't care what I am eating these days.


Chicken Stock (used in the asparagus soup)
-1 whole chicken (3 pounds or so)
-4 quarts cold filtered water
-2 tablespoons vinegar (I use apple cider)
-1 large onion, coarsely chopped
-2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
-3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
-1 bunch parsley

Place chicken in a large stainless steel pot with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley. Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour. Bring to a boil, and remove scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 24 hours. The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be. About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add parsley.

Remove whole chicken. Let cool and remove chicken meat. Reserve for other uses. Strain the stock into a large bowl and reserve in your refrigerator until the fat rises to the top. Skim off this fat and reserve the stock in covered containers in your refrigerator or freezer.

Asparagus Soup
serves 4-6

-2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
-3 tablespoons butter
-1 1/2 quarts chicken stock (see above)
-4 red potatoes, washed and cut into quarters (I omit the potatoes, and it is just as good.)
-2 bunches tender asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
-2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
-sea salt and pepper

Sauté onions gently in butter until tender. Add stock, garlic and potatoes (if using). Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add asparagus and simmer another 10 minutes or so until tender. Blend with a handheld blender (or a regular blender). Pass the soup through a strainer to remove any strings from the asparagus (I don't do this). Season to taste.

Enjoy, Friends!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Megan, I am smiling as I read through the recipe, remembering you as a high school girl, watching me cook dinner..."mama, I will never be able to cook chicken, it is soo gross, I don't think I can stand to touch it!" What a wonderful cook you have become. I am so proud of you.

Cathy Gunderman said...

For what my opinion is worth, the last pic of you and Clay on this blog is one of my favorites. <3