7.10.2009

The Day I Almost Got Arrested...

Ok, so maybe that's a little much, but I (Clay) did have a run-in with the law today that I won't soon forget. Let me explain...

So this weekend our church is putting on a soccer tournament here in Huy. What makes this stand out from other tournaments is that it's a beach soccer tournament. If you're up on your Belgian geography (and I know you are), you'll quickly realize that Huy is nowhere near the beach. To remedy this, we had 180 Tonnes of sand brought in. Awesome. It's like every kid's (or big kid's) dream to watch 6 semis drop off piles and piles of sand, until you realize that you have to move it with shovels. Fortunately, the city surprised us by sending one of their guys who offered to come on his day off with a bulldozer. The guy saved us hours and hours of work, so we wanted to thank him. He said something about having to leave in 15 minutes, so Kevin and I ran (literally) to the closest grocery store and got this guy a pack of some fine Belgian brew. We knew we were pressed for time, so as Kevin waited for his change, I ran back to the work site with the thank-you gift. As I was running up, I heard Kevin right behind me, then I heard a car right behind us on what is basically a sidewalk. I didn't think much of it with all we had going on until the guys, who turned out to be plain-clothed cops, jumped out of the car and told us to stop. They asked for our IDs and checked our bag. Kevin offered to show him the receipt, but the guy said to keep his hands out of his pockets, so we stood there laughing like idiots. We knew exactly what was going on. This guy saw us running and it looked suspicious. I don't blame him. People barely walk fast on the sidewalks, let alone run, so this guy running down the street with a bag with his friend in tow had to look shady. We explained and the cop even laughed a little (once he confirmed with the system that we weren't wanted).

So, no harm done. Our friend got his brew and Kevin and I got a great laugh out of it.

I'm sure there will be more pictures of the tournament coming soon. It's going to be cool.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh my gosh, Clay I am sitting here laughing in tears! You painted this picture SO well. And... can I just say, your church sounds AMAZINGLY cool- 6 semis of sand?!?... that is awesome!

Unknown said...

Combien sont mon amende s'il vous plaƮt ?

Anna Alexis said...

I love how it sounds like beer is practically it's own currency over there :) Cracks me up

Greg Barrilleaux said...

That's an instant classic! Really funny!