4.14.2009

Back in the saddle

Wanted to share that the last few days have been better. Thank you so much for all of your encouraging comments and emails. Adventures like this aren't always pretty, so thank you for praying for and loving me.

Today was super productive (all things considered). I spent some time with Amy, my friend and team leader, and then went grocery shopping. I then went to the post office, which was an adventure just to find. I remember my first trip to the post office in Austin was stressful too, so it appears that most "firsts" are challenging no matter how comfortable you are with the language (the Austin post office I first went to is on Manchaca, pronounced Mancheck- ok, NOW who's speaking a different language.... but I digress. Austinites, you know what I am talking about). In my search for the post office I accidently entered this private bank. I think you are supposed to swipe a special card to enter, but, thinking it was the post office, I just piggy-backed behind someone else. THEN, I found myself trapped between the door I just entered, and the super-secure 2nd door which I could not enter. Oh, AND all surrounding walls were glass. Oh my gosh. I finally got out of the glass box and back onto the street, but it was a tense few minutes, there. Ok, so I finally find the post office. Of course, I 'push' instead of 'pull' the door open (this is happening a LOT lately. It's like the international symbol for "I don't belong here.") which always causes people to look up alarmed. And this is just what I want, too, for the ENTIRE french-speaking room to look up when I walk in :) But you know what? I got those packages mailed. And I bought stamps. And the ladies smiled at me when I left, which to someone who misses verbal interaction is as good as.... jalapeno ranch dressing at Chuy's. There, I said it, a kind gesture from a stranger is as good as Chuy's (almost). (Remember this when you see someone new to town who has no idea what they are doing. Smile. Talk to them, and then take them to Chuy's or something.)

So, a good day. I learned something new, and I made it back home. Tomorrow is market day so I am excited about that. It is wonderful and right outside our building. So many beautiful fresh veggies- I can't wait!

Oh, and for those of you following my culture-shock-induced regression, here is the latest. Word mixups. Just now at dinner I suggested to Clay that we "watch a game or play a movie" and then yesterday I asked him "What color is it?" Instead of "What time is it?" Sheesh!

Love to you all. Thanks for supporting me through the tough times.
P.S. Did you know that I found a recipe for Chuy's jalapeno ranch dressing? Someone make this and try it. I have ranch powder but don't want to use it unless this recipe is the real deal ;)

16 oz. (or 24, it matters little) sour cream or buttermilk
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix powder
1 handful cilantro leaves (more or less to taste)
3/4 cup pickled jalapeƱo slices (more or less to taste)
Put the ingredients in a blender (or use a nifty hand blender) and blend until smooth. Eat immediately or, even better, chill for a few hours letting the flavors meld.

5 comments:

Jana said...

That's my girl!

Kerrie said...

Megan, all through college, my mom had this stupid saying that she kept throwing out there whenever I was on the verge of a nervous break-down. I'd be in tears, freaking out about something and she'd always say, "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger." I really hated it when she said that. In those moments, I understood why kids let their parents rot in nursing homes. But, as I grew up, I learned she was right and that every crisis or perceived crisis, was an opportunity to learn something about myself and to grow. I can only imagine how frustrated you are and exhausted because you just want to feel at home. You will. It'll happen. The French will come too. I have seen from Emily that it is absolutely impossible not to pick it up if you are surrounded by it. You'll be fine. Just relax and enjoy the adventure.

Cathy Gunderman said...

Megan,you may be having a hard time, but you lighten my day with your blog..."Smile. Talk to them, and then take them to Chuy's or something." I am still giggling! I promise, I will forever remember you when I see someone attempting to fit in. You are precious. Take care of yourself and your sweet hubby and know that you two have many people praying for you here at home....and just keep smiling. Smiling always makes you feel better no matter what.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you and praying for you. Thanks for being so real and vulnerable in sharing.

Love ya,

Lindsey & Peanut

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan, It was good to get to read the stories of your adventures. I am sure that you have some feelings of being overwhelmed, but you all were so brave to step out in faith. The rest will come as you continue to make friends and before you know it you will wonder how Belgium ever seemed so unfamiliar because it will be like home. We miss you and we love you guys.
Carlos and Eileen